Yoga Padmasana can be practiced any time. You may do it while watching TV or while having food. Its the basic pose to perform any of the meditations or sitting in any mudra. Details about the sirring posture of Padmasana is described below. For those people who can't sit in Padmasana, they can perform ardha-padmasana (Half Lotus Pose), which is a bit easier than Padmasana.
Yoga Padmasana Pose in Detail
Correct siting position has great importance while performing yoga. As Padmasana is a basic yoga pose, so it should be practiced correctly. You may follow the steps provided below to sit in Padmasana.
- Sit on a tough surface.
- Put your right foot on your left thigh such that flat portion of your feet is facing upwards and ankle is touching your abdomen.
- Now put your left foot on your right thigh in the same way.
- You may use your hands to put your feet on your thighs.
- If you are having difficulty in sitting in this posture then you may do ardha-padmasana. In this you don't need to put your left feet on right thigh. Instead you may keep it under the thigh, which is a bit relaxing.
- There is no time limit for doing Padmasana. You may do it till you find it easy to do in your daily life, but never go over the limits. Release from the pose when you find it uncomfortable.
- Every time you do Padmasana, start it with alternate legs. If this time you have started your pose with right leg, then next time start it with left leg.
Who should avoid doing Padmasana
- If you recently have a knee injury or an ankle injury then you should avoid Padmasana until you are fully recovered.
- If you have a sprain in your leg then avoid Padmasana.
- If you have lower or Upper back pain then avoid Padmasana.
Benefits of Padmasana
There are uncountable benefits of Padmasana. It is the basic pose for most of the meditation mudras. Here we are listing some of the major and worldwide accepted benefits of Padmasana.
- It increases our concentration power.
- It strengthens our spine.
- It improves of thigh, ankle and calf muscles.
- It destroys diseases and awakens kundalini.
- It relieves sciatica pain and improves body posture.
- It improves blood circulation and digestion.
- It makes our joints and ligaments flexible.
- It restores the energy level of our body.