Alcoholism also known by other names like "Alcohol Addiction" or Alcohol Dependence" is a medical condition. This medical condition can easily ruin the life of a person. It can take away the health of a person and social respect of a person. Society often call them by other names such as Drunkard. Those have fallen prey to this problem were often just a moderate social drinkers and they don't even know when they have crossed the line to be an addict. There are various signs and symptoms of this Alcohol Addiction and Alcoholism is a treatable medical condition.
Drinking becomes a problem for you if you notice any of these things.
- If its causing problems in your social life or family life.
- If you are hiding your drinking habit.
- If you face a "black out", where you forget what you did last night after drinking.
- If you often feel ashamed of your drinking habit.
- If you need to drink to feel better.
Signs of Alcoholism are easy to notice and there is no need for a laboratory test. If you know them they you may cure yourself before drinking becomes a problem for you or some of your closed one. Some common symptoms of Alcoholism are:
- You feel relaxed after drinking and your stress is gone. (Its the beginning)
- If you drive and operate machinery after drinking.
- If you neglect your responsibilities at work and at home.
- If you continue to drink even after knowing that your drinking is causing problems.
- If you have faced some legal actions on account of your drinking.
- If you feel that your drinking capacity has increased and you need more pegs to feel relaxed or buzzed.
- If you need a drink again in morning to stop the shakes.
- If you have to stop other activities like playing or hanging out with family, just to continue drinking.
- If you don't have control over your drinking habit, even after knowing that its harming you.
- Last and final symptom is "You can't quit it, even if you want to".
Causes of alcoholism vary from person to person. Sometimes its genetic factor as well but genetics can be easily overridden if there is a will. Here are some common causes of alcoholism.
- Stressful changes in life can sometimes easily drag a person towards alcohol so much that it becomes an addiction. For example a breakup or losing someone very close can easily take you to this wrong habit.
- Some people start drinking daily, taking it as a status symbol, and they don't even know when they become an addict. When we see our favorite movie stars drinking, we think its cool. Very soon this coolness can make us alcoholic.
- Sometimes our friend circle is responsible for dragging us into that condition. (Sometimes changing your company can save you).
Some Alcoholics remain under the wrong impression that they can quit drinking anytime they want to. But this fact comes out to be wrong when they start to quit it own their own. Therefore here we are discussing some treatment options to treat the problem of Alcoholism.
If you are trying to treat your alcohol problem yourselves then following tips can help you.
- In the beginning you have to understand that treatment of Alcoholism is a gradual process. It can't be done in a day or two.
- Tell yourself the benefits of not drinking, whenever you feel an urge to drink.
- Also tell yourselves the consequences of drinking. (like kidney failure)
- Set some date as you target date to quit drinking completely. In the beginning you make quit drinking on weekdays. Just drink limited on weekends.
- Tell about your goals to your friends and family. It will make you try hard.
- Gradually decrease your consumption and take it to nill.
- Avoid the company of such friends who can ask you to drink.
- Try to get engaged in some other activities in your free time.
There are some withdrawing symptoms of Alcohol.
- Nausea or vomiting
- Trouble sleeping or concentrating
- Anxiety and restlessness
- Stomach cramps and diarrhea
- Elevated heart rate and blood pressure
If you feel such things then its better to get some professional help by contacting a doctor. If you feel some severe symptoms like listed below then contact 911 immediately.
- severe vomiting
- extreme agitation
- confusion and disorientation
- seizures or convulsions
- Rehab Centers: Some Rehab centers have specialized in Alcohol Addiction. They have different programs for different types of addicts. You may also opt for residential programs in some cases.
- Consultation: If your condition is not very severe then some consultation with some specialist may also help. They can hear your problems and provide you some good solutions to them which can help you in quitting.
Note: People often blame others for their condition but the truth is that you can't get rid of alcoholism unless you start to take responsibility of your own acts.