Zika VirusFamily: Flaviviridae
Other viruses related to this family and genus are dengue, yellow fever, Japanese encephalitis, and West Nile viruses.
Facts about Zika Virus Infection
- Zika virus is enveloped and icosahedral and has a nonsegmented, single-stranded, 10 kilobase positive-sense RNA genome.
- There are two types of Zika Viruses according to their lineages. One is of African lineage and other is of Asian lineage. The virus spreading in America is 89% similar to African lineage.
- Zika Virus Infection is spread by the female Aedes aegypti mosquito, which is active mostly in the daytime.
- This Virus was first isolated in Zika Forest of Uganada during year 1947. The name of the the virus comes from that Zika Forest.
How does Zika Virus transmits in Humans ?
- Zika Virus is primarily spread by Aedes aegypti mosquitoes.
- This can also be transmitted through sexual contact.
- Another common mode of transmission is blood transfusions.
Zika Virus Infection Symptoms
Zika virus causes fever commonly known as Zika Fever. Other symptoms of Zika infection are similar mild symptoms of Dengu. Other symptoms of Zika infection may include fever, red eyes, joint pain, headache, and a maculopapular rash.
Zika Virus Infection Cure
Zika virus infection can not be prevented by using any medication or vaccine. The best preventive measure is to prevent yourself from mosquito bites. Avoiding sexual contact with people showing symptoms of zika infection is also necessary if the infection has already spread in your locality.
Zika Virus Infection Treatment
There is no specific treatment of Zika Virus Infection. Paracetamol is normally used medicine for fever. Other treatments are done according to the symptoms to get rid from them. Getting admitted in hospital is rarely needed when the symptoms are not reduced.